Meringue Crown with Fresh Cream Blueberries & Blueberry Compote
Impress with this deliciously luxurious meringue crown dessert, served with fresh cream blueberries to add a splash of colour to your plate, taking inspiration from our Midnight Blue Colour Boutique shade#TasteOfColour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 100°C.
- For the meringue, whisk the egg whites until they have doubled in size. Use a stand mixer or hand mixer if you have one.
- Gradually add in the sugar one spoonful at a time, until the mixture is glossy and whipped to stiff peaks.
- Add in the activated charcoal and blue food colouring. Fully incorporate until the mixture remains in the bowl when turned upside down.
- Take a piece of baking paper and draw a circle with approximately 180mm diameter. You can use a side plate to measure this. Turn the baking paper upside down and place on a baking tray.
- Spoon the meringue mixture within the circle. Smooth the top and sides into a cylindrical shape with a spatula.
- With a clean spatula, start at the bottom of the cylinder and pull the meringue directly upwards to create ridges around the sides. Repeat process all around the meringue crown.
- Place the tray into the oven and bake for 1 hour. Then turn the oven off and leave the meringue crown in there until the oven is fully cooled. This should take another hour.
- Next, make the blueberry cream filling. Whip the double cream and crushed blueberries until stiff peaks form.
- For the compote, add the ingredients into a pan over medium heat. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the blueberries have broken down. Leave to cool before serving.
- Compile the meringue crown. Pipe or spoon the whipped blueberry cream into the centre of the meringue. Drizzle with the blueberry compote and finish with a sprinkle of blueberries.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 1 Hour
For the meringue:
5 large egg whites
200g caster sugar
1 ½ tsp activated charcoal powder
½ tsp blue gel food colouring
For the filling:
400ml double cream, whipped until soft peaks form
200g blueberries, crushed
For the blueberry compote:
200ml apple juice
150g caster sugar