The Perfect Turkey
All timings are based on a 12lb bird.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C
- Have your turkey out on the chopping board ready, making sure any giblets are removed.
- In a bowl, mix the softened butter with the sage, chopped garlic, salt and pepper and the orange zest and juice.
- Next, turn the turkey so the legs are pointing away from you. Carefully, using your fingertips, ease the skin away from the flesh of the bird and keep working your way up until the skin is loose from the flesh. This is creating a pocket to put the butter mixture into.
- Take a scoop of the butter mix and work this under the skin, smoothing it out as you go, this will work to kee the flesh really moist whilst you're cooking it.
- Any leftover butter mix can be smoothed over the top of the skin.
- Drizzle the turkey with a little oil and some salt and pepper, before covering in foil and popping it in the oven.
- Cook for an hour, before removing the foil and cooking for a further hour and a half. For the last 45 minutes of this cooking time turn up the heat to 180°C and pop in your sides (onion, apple, stuffing etc).
- Take the bird out to rest, pop the foil back on and also cover with a tea towel. Covered it can rest happily for an hour - giving you time to finish other elements of your Christmas dinner.
Once served up, it's time to enjoy your Christmas!
Cook time: 2 Hours 45 Minutes
100g salted butter softened
1 bunch of fresh safe finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 satsuma halved
1 orange zest and juice
2 cloves of garlic