Sunday Roast Beef & Blackberry Jus
Add a twist to your traditional Sunday with juicy, seasonal blackberries.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Rub olive oil into the beef and season with salt and pepper.
- Add onion, carrots, garlic and 4 sprigs thyme to a roasting tin, sit beef on top of vegetables and cook for 20 mins.
- Add blackberries and sugar into a pan and let simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes. Then crush blackberries with a fork and set aside.
- After the beef has been in the oven for 20 mins, reduce the heat to 170°C and let beef cook for a further 30 mins for rare, 40 mins for medium or 1 hour for well done.
- Whilst the beef is cooking at the reduced temperature, add butter to a saucepan with the shallots and remaining sprigs of thyme over a medium heat and let soften for 3-4 mins.
- Add the wine, beef stock and juniper berries to the pan and let simmer on a high heat for 5 mins until reduced and syrupy.
- Remove beef from the oven and allow to rest for 20 mins.
- Add the blackberries and residual meat juices to the pan of jus and heat until warmed through
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
950g beef topside
1 onion, sliced into quarters
3 large carrots, halved length ways
4 cloves of garlic
7 sprigs of fresh thyme
½ tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 shallot, finely chopped
200ml red wine
200ml beef stock
3 juniper berries
½ tsp butter