Take the classic Dutch stroopwafels to a whole new level of excellence. Stuffed with silky chocolate sauce and oozing marshmallows, they may be the best thing to come out of 2020.
- To form the dough, combine the flour and butter together in a large bowl with your hands until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the yeast, cinnamon and sugar then mix well.
- Next, slowly pour in the warm water while mixing until a dough forms and then add the egg and salt.
- Knead for 1-2 minutes until you have a soft ball. Cover and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- To make the caramel, melt the sugar and butter on a low heat in a saucepan. Stir slowly until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Add the cinnamon and golden syrup, stirring until the mixture bubbles.
- Once all the sugar has melted and the caramel is thick and creamy, stir in the vanilla extract. Keep warm until you assemble the stroopwafels.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and cover with a damp tea towel.
- Heat and grease your waffle cone machine. Place 1 dough ball in the centre, press down firmly and cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer the waffle to a board, and while it’s still hot, cut it with a 10cm round cutter. Then slice the waffle in half horizontally.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of caramel on the bottom waffle half then place the other half on top. Gentle press down until the caramel spreads to the edges.
- Let the waffle cool on a wire rack and repeat with the remaining dough balls.
- To assemble, take a warm stroopwafel and generously cover one side in melted chocolate.
- Add a lightly toasted marshmallow and then another stroopwafel on top to form a stroopwafel sandwich. Squeeze together lightly and enjoy!
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 50 Minutes (+ 30 Minutes Rising Time)
300g plain flour
65g unsalted butter, softened
7g fast-action dried yeast
½ tsp ground cinnamon
65g caster sugar
65ml warm water
1 large egg
Pinch of salt
150g chocolate (milk or dark), melted
12 large marshmallows
For the caramel:
200g light brown soft sugar
100g unsalted butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
5 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp vanilla extract