While we're all spending a lot more time at home, it's the perfect time to have a root through our cupboards and dig out some ingredients, incorporating them into everyday recipes to give them a delicious twist. If you have different flavoured oils and bread that's slightly on the stale side, try this recipe for Roasted Cauliflower and Flavoured Oil. Any flavour oil will work - lemon, chilli, truffle etc.
1. Remove the stalk from the cauliflower and cut into florets.
2. Heat the butter, olive oil and flavoured oil of your choice in a large saucepan, then tip in the cauliflower florets, potato and onion.
3. Cover and sweat for 10 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened but not coloured.
4. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Add the milk with some seasoning and return to a simmer.
5. Now simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes until all of the vegetables are soft. Add the cream and remove from the heat. Blend the soup until smooth.
6. For the croutons, heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bread cubes and fry until golden and crisp, turning frequently. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with a little sea salt.
7. Return the soup to a clean pan, check the seasoning and reheat gently. Ladle the soup out into bowls, drizzle over a little flavoured oil and scatter a few croutons on top.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 35 Minutes
For the soup:
1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
1tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp flavoured oil of your choice
1 large potato, peeled and roughly chopped
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 litre vegetable stock
400ml whole milk
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
100ml double cream
For the croutons:
2 tbsp olive oil
2 slices day-old bread cut into cubes