Minted Lamb Cawl
This traditional Welsh classic is the perfect home comfort food. Best cooked the day before, we’ve added a refreshing mint twist to boost the rich lamb flavour.
- Heat half the oil in a large pan and add the onions, carrots, potatoes, leeks and swede and brown off. Once slightly softened remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to pan. Once hot, add in the lamb neck and brown the meat for 3-5 mins on a medium-high heat. Add lamb stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and let simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the browned vegetables and mint sauce. Cook on a low simmer for a further hour. Set aside and let cool.
- Once cool, place in fridge over night to let flavours develop.
- When ready to serve, heat through until piping hot. We recommend serving with thick, crusty bread slices to soak up the delicious broth.
Prep time: 30 Minutes (+ Overnight Rest Time)
Cook time: 2 Hours 20 Minutes
950g lamb neck
2L lamb stock
220g potatoes, peeled and diced into large squares
220g onion, chopped
220g leeks, sliced into 1cm thick slices
220g carrots, peeled and chopped
220g swede, peeled and chopped
3 tbsp mint sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp caster sugar
Salt and pepper for seasoning