Golden Apple Strudel Ring
On the fifth day of Christmas, Stoves gave to me…Golden apple strudel ring. Cook up a storm with this festive showstopper that incorporates all your favourite winter flavours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a saucepan, add 25g of the butter and add the apple pieces. Cook for 10 minutes until the apple is softened and slightly golden.
- Add in the sugar and spices. Mix well and cook for a further minute until the sugar dissolves.
- Transfer the apple mix into a bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Once the apple mix has cooled, stir in the raisins.
- To assemble the strudel, cover a rectangle tin (55x25cm) with baking parchment.
- Place two sheets of pastry onto the baking parchment, overlapping the pastry slightly in the middle.
- Using the remaining melted butter, brush a light layer over the pastry.
- Repeat by adding a layer of pastry and butter until there are four layers in total.
- Leaving a 2.5cm gap at the edge, spoon the apple mix along one loge edge of the pastry.
- Next, roll up the pastry, using the baking parchment to help.
- Transfer the strudel onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Gently bend the strudel into a circle, tucking in the ends.
- Brush the pastry with butter and dust with 1tbsp icing sugar. Bake for 20 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Once the strudel is cooked, transfer it to a large plate and dust with more icing sugar.
- To serve, drizzle with warm salted caramel sauce, slice up and enjoy.
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 35 Minutes
75g unsalted butter, melted
850g Cox’s apples, peeled and chopped into 1cm pieces
40g golden caster sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
8 sheets filo pastry
1 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
130g salted caramel sauce, to serve