Chocolate Espresso Shortbreads
Upgrade the classic buttery shortbread with an intense chocolate flavour that’s perfectly blended with rich espresso coffee. The ultimate afternoon treats to enjoy with friends.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, espresso, salt and cinnamon until fully combined. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on a high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and whisk for a further minute until combined.
- Next, add the flour mixture to the stand mixer and whisk until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper and roll it into a log shape.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Once the dough has firmed up, roll it in the chopped hazelnuts, ensuring they are slightly embedded.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into discs that are half an inch thick.
- Place each shortbread disc onto a tray lined with parchment paper, leaving a small space in between each one.
- Bake for 13 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Enjoy with a warm mug of tea or dunked in coffee.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 13 Minutes
130g plain flour
100g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp and 1 tsp instant espresso powder
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp cinnamon
175g unsalted butter
1 large egg
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
100g hazelnuts, finely chopped