Centenary Stem Ginger Spotted Dick with Brandy Cream
Infused with stem ginger and a citrus burst, this version of Spotted Dick is certain to be winner. Pair with brandy cream for that extra special twist on a classic British pud.
- For the pudding, mix together the currants, sultanas, ginger, orange zest and orange juice in a bowl. Ensure all the fruit is coated and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, suet, salt and baking powder.
- Slowly pour the milk into the flour mixture, continuously mixing until a dough is formed - It should be a roll-able consistency. If it’s too dry, add more milk if necessary.
- Drain the fruit then fully incorporate the fruit into the dough.
- Shape the pastry into a fat roll about 20cm long then wrap in a piece of buttered greaseproof paper with a folded pleat to allow for expansion.
- Place the wrapped dough onto a steamer and place in a large saucepan of boiling water. If it doesn’t fit, slice into two rolls then place both in the steamer.
- Cover and steam for 1 ¾ hours. Top the pan up with boiling water if needed.
- Remove from the steamer and allow to cool slightly before unwrapping.
- For the brandy cream, whip the double cream and icing sugar together in a bowl until soft peaks form.
- Quickly fold in the brandy.
- Then gently fold in the mascarpone until fully incorporated.
- Serve the Spotted Dick in thick slices with a generous dollop of brandy cream. Delicious!
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Cook time: 1-2 Hours