Revive this retro dessert by creating individual Baked Alaska, the perfect sweet treat to round off any dinner party.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Line a 17cm square shallow cake tin with baking paper.
2. Sift the baking powder and flour into a bowl. Add the butter, 50g of the sugar and the whole egg. Beat until creamy - scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula if needed.
3. Pour the mixture into the tin and level the top. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Turn the oven up to 220°C. Trim the edges of the cake, then cut into 4 squares. Put them on a baking tray lined with baking paper, leaving a gap between each one.
5. Spread jam over the tops and sprinkle on a few raspberries.
6. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and glossy. Add the rest of the sugar, 1tsp at a time, making sure to whisk in between.
7. Scoop out 4 ice cream balls and place on top of the cake squares. Completely cover the ice cream in meringue, right down to the base of the cake.
8. Bake for 5 minutes or until golden on the outside. Serve straight away.
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
1/2 level tsp baking powder
50g self-raising flour
50g butter, softened
150g caster sugar
1 egg (large), plus 2 egg whites
8 tsp raspberry jam
125g fresh raspberries
1/2 litre of good quality vanilla ice cream