Forget clean eating and haute cuisine, Britain is a nation of comfort food lovers according to our new research looking at the most popular celebrity recipes searched on the internet.
In the study of the UK’s most-googled celebrity recipes during 2015, a Mary Berry recipe came top with more than 12,000 people per month searching for her take on the classic Victoria Sponge. The Naked Chef created the next two most popular recipes with over 9,300 people searching for Jamie Oliver’s Chilli con Carne per month, and 8,200 people per month googling his recipe for homemade pizza dough.
Bake-Off fever may have had an impact on the nation’s home-cooking choices, as the next two most popular searches being Mary Berry’s scones (8,100 searches per month) and Paul Hollywood’s bread (5,080 per month).
The research also found that Brits take their cooking inspiration from a variety of TV foodies. Healthy-eating pioneer Jamie Oliver was the most popular chef overall according to the poll, with household favourites Gordon Ramsey, James Martin, Nigella Lawson and Mary Berry making up the top five most popular chefs. Two thousand respondents were polled on their favourite chefs as part of the research we undertook in late 2015.
Despite being named the UK’s second favourite chef, Gordon Ramsey’s recipes only came ninth in the most-frequently searched – and Brits shunned his Michelin-starred dishes, seeking out a Chilli con Carne recipe instead.
Jane Rylands, Stoves spokesperson, said: “We know the UK is a nation that loves to cook, and we were very interested in what the most popular recipes across the country might be.
“It is interesting to see that although we may have adventurous tastes, the recipes that were most commonly sought out were for comfort foods and classic dishes such as chilli, fish pie and pancakes. This suggests that whilst we love to try new things in restaurants, at home it’s all about making family favourites to a high standard.”
The research was undertaken to celebrate the best of British cooking. Stoves is one of the only major cooking appliance manufacturers still producing built-in ovens and hobs, freestanding and range cookers in the United Kingdom, making British products for home cooks and professional chefs alike.
Britain’s Top 20 Celebrity Chefs
1. Jamie Oliver
2. Gordon Ramsay
3. James Martin
4. Nigella Lawson
5. Mary Berry
6. Ainsley Harriott
7. Rick Stein
8. Delia Smith
9. Hairy Bikers
10. Paul Hollywood
11. Michel Roux Jr
12. Nigel Slater
13. Heston Blumenthal
14. Marco Pierre White
15. Tom Kerridge
16. Keith Floyd
17. John Torode
18. Raymond Blanc
19. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
20. Lorraine Pascale
Britain’s Top 20 Celebrity Chef Recipes
1. Mary Berry’s Victoria Sponge (12,100 average monthly searches)
2. Jamie Oliver’s Chilli (9,600 average monthly searches)
3. Jamie Oliver’s Pizza Dough (8,200 average monthly searches)
4. Mary Berry’s Scones (8,100 average monthly searches)
5. Paul Hollywood’s Bread (5,080 average monthly searches)
6. Jamie Oliver’s Pancakes (4,900 average monthly searches)
7. Hairy Bikers’ Sausage Casserole (4,400 average monthly searches)
8. Mary Berry’s Fish Pie (4,400 average monthly searches)
9. Paul Hollywood’s Scones (2,070 average monthly searches)
10. Gordon Ramsey’s Chilli (1,700 average monthly searches)
11. Hairy Bikers’ Curry (1,600 average monthly searches)
12. James Martin’s Toad in the Hole (1,600 average monthly searches)
13. Ainsley Harriott’s Cous Cous (1,230 average monthly searches)
14. Rick Stein’s Moussaka (990 average monthly searches)
15. Nigella Lawson’s Pancakes (980 average monthly searches)
16. Nigella Lawson’s Rocky Road (880 average monthly searches)
17. James Martin’s Chicken Chasseur (800 average monthly searches)
18. Delia Smith’s Pavlova (720 average monthly searches)
19. Lorraine Pascale’s Chocolate cake (590 average monthly searches)
20. James Martin’s Chicken Curry (480 average monthly searches)